North Tacoma Soccer Club provides referees for home games played by younger teams. This is a great opportunity for players (13 and older) to learn more about the game, develop leadership skills and to earn some extra money.
For games played by older teams, NORTAC works with the Northwest Soccer Offials (NSO) to provide referees. Questions? Please contact the club's referee assignor, Mike Rivers.
If you are a parent or coach and want to provide feedback to the referees at a game, you can do so at the NSO website. Enter search criteria to find the match, and provide feedback. Questions? Contact Mike Rivers.
Want to be a Referee?
If you are interested in being a club referee, there are a number of steps that you must complete:
- Obtain a referee license by attending a clinic and completing the licensing exam. Clinics cost approximately $50.
- Register with the USSF (US Soccer Federation). Applications are available at the referee clinic once you pass the exam. The annual cost to register is $50.
- Obtain an RMA (Risk Management Assessment) card. This involves a background check by the Washington State Patrol and is required by the WSYSA to ensure the safety of all players. Applying for an RMA card can be done online. When registering, indicate that you are a referee and that you are associated with the Pierce County Soccer Referee Association.
- Obtain referee equipment - uniform, flags, notebook, whistle, etc. Prices for kits are $40-$70. Please contact the club assignor if you need recommendations.
- Register with Northwest Soccer Officials (NSO). Go to www.nwsoccerofficials.org, select the logon screen, and then the registration link. All Nortac games available for assignment are posted on this site.
All clinics are taught by licensed instructors from WSRA. View the current list of clinics being offered.
After a referee is licensed and on the club list, they will be eligible for assignment to home games played by club teams. Once the fall season starts, matches will be available for self-assignment through the Washington State Referee Association website. Referees are paid for their work. Checks will be sent out via mail.
Annual License Renewal
Once a Referee completes a clinic and obtains a license, they must renew their license on an annual basis. The Washington State Referee Committee provides a good overview of this process at the following website.
When games are assigned, several rules apply:
- Referees can not work a game where a relative is a player on one of the teams
- Center referees must be at least 2 years older than the players on both teams.
- ARs must be at least 1 year older than the players on both teams.
- Assignors have the discretion to make exceptions to these rules based on the skill of the referee and the competitive level of the match.
Preparation Before a Game
Although the Laws of the Game are defined by FIFA and US Soccer, state and location organizations can make modifications to the rules. As a result, before a game begins, referees have an obligation to understand the rules that will apply to the specific game they are working. Below are the rules:
US Soccer Federation (USSF) - Laws of the Game
Washington State Youth Soccer Assoc (WSYSA) - Administrative Handbook - Please see Section 3 (Rules of Competition) on pages 58-70. The same info can also be found in the WSYSA Coaches Handbook.
District 3 - No additional rules. Follow WSYSA rules.
Tacoma Pierce County Junior Soccer Assoc. (TPCJSA) - Policy and Procedures - Applies only to Inter-Association games
Small-Sided game rules (U11 and below) - Follow WSYSA small-sided guidelines
After the Game
After completion of a game, referees are required to submit the following to the club assignor using the PCSRA website:
- Match report - Summary of game results & misconduct. Also include any issues with coaches, parents, fields or equipment.
- Misconduct report - Used for disciplinary hearings for cautionable (yellow card) & send-off offenses (red card)
WA Cup Champs & Finalists
Champions in their Division: Sparta B13 White & Coach Riggins Sparta G12 White & Coach Serra WA Cup Finalists: Sparta G11 White Coaches Kingston…Read More
Peck Sports Feedback
𝐍𝐎𝐑𝐓𝐀𝐂 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐒𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐭𝐚 𝐅𝐚𝐦𝐢𝐥𝐢𝐞𝐬: Metro Parks Tacoma and Tacoma Public Schools are partnering to plan an upgrade to the Peck Sports Complex making it a…Read More
Join us for NORTAC’s very first Casino Night Fundraiser! NORTAC, in partnership with Raceways Technology, is hosting our first Casino Night Fundraiser! Event date: Saturday,…Read More
After 25+ years with NORTAC and Sparta, Tony Crudo is retiring. We would like to thank Tony for all his time and dedication into training…Read More