Peck Sports Feedback
𝐍𝐎𝐑𝐓𝐀𝐂 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐒𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐭𝐚 𝐅𝐚𝐦𝐢𝐥𝐢𝐞𝐬:
Metro Parks Tacoma and Tacoma Public Schools are partnering to plan an upgrade to the Peck Sports Complex making it a multipurpose turf field. This would be a great asset to the community and benefit not only our club but other sports clubs in the area.
Metro Parks is currently accepting community feedback on the project that will have a direct impact on the renovations being considered. The original project at Stanley Park was dropped due to negative feedback, together, we can have a positive impact on this project. It already has lights and would bring up the number of fields that could be used in the fall and winter providing a real asset to the city. For more information, you can read the article published by Tacoma Public Schools here.
We are asking all of you to consider providing your feedback to Metro Parks in this link
Go to the Community Vision Board and you will find four different places you can place your comments and for you to see what others are saying about the project. These are talking points that we think are important to provide in feedback:
- Peck has always been a sports complex and not a community green space. Stanley Park is about 5 blocks away that provides a large open green space for the community.
- The facility is outdated and under utilized due to design and age being built in the 1940s-1950s
- It is only one of four public fields in Tacoma with lights that could be used in the fall/winter
- The complex is currently only used for about 4 months of the year due to poor drainage, standing water and fowl excrement
- Multipurpose field design would serve hundreds if not thousands of youth and adult sports participants including Little League, soccer, lacrosse and many other sports
- Traffic calming and parking reconfiguration should be added for safety.
We would use your support if you wish to participate.
North Tacoma Soccer Club
Leave a Comment